Tullylish All Saints Church of Ireland Churchyard|
35 Tullylish Road
Banbridge, County Down, BT63 6DP
+44 028 3883 1298
Monday to Sunday
8.00am to Dusk
The old parish church is situated in the townland of Tullylish, about 2 km from Gilford town on the site of an ancient earthern fort. The first recorded pastor was in 1526. It was rebuilt in 1698 and abandoned in 1861 having been partially destroyed in the 1641 rebellion. It was described as a neat, stone building with a low tower but without a spire. The inside was neat and fitted up with pews.It is in the diocese of Dromore; the rectory and vicarage, patron the bishop. In 1846 the rector was Rev. William Butler Yeates.
The old church was abandoned in 1861 when the new church was built. During the excavation work for the new church, archaeologists uncovered much of the remains of an important early Monastic settlement dating back to the 6th century. It was probably built to protect the pass across the River Bann. Rev. W.B. Yeats erected the church but was too ill to attend the laying of the foundation stone. A plaque in the new church commemorated W.B. Yeats; not the poet but his grandfather.
The Church is situated in the small rural village of Tullylish a townland of 513 acres. It sits near the River Bann on the Tullylish Road which adjoins the main road (A50) between the towns of Banbridge and Portadown. The Rectory, which overlooks the A50 road, is situated approx. 1 mile from the church. It sits back from the main road and is accessed by a private tree lined driveway.
The information on this website is free and will always be so. However, there are many documents and records that we would like to show here that are only available for sale. If you would like to make a donation to the Lurgan Ancestry project, however small (or large!), to enable us to acquire these records, it would be very much appreciated. We could cover our pages in Goggle Ads to raise money, but feel that this would detract from the information we are trying to provide.
You can also help us to raise money by purchasing some of our ebooks on our sister website: www.genealogyebooks.com
The Lurgan Ancestry Project is a not for profit website, all monies raised from the site go back into it.