•Monday to Sunday
•Summer Hours - 8.00am to 10.00pm from the 1st April to 30th September
•Winter Hours - 8.00am to Dusk from the 1st October to the 31st March
For any Cemetery enquiry, please contact the Cemetery Manager or Cemetery Superintendent at Kernan Cemetery Tel: 028 3833 9059.
The townland and parish of Seagoe derive their name from 'Suidhe Gobhan', the seat of Gobhan. Gobhan was a saintly man, who according to tradition had set up a monastery on the banks of the River Bann in Iveagh in Ulster and was leader 'of a thousand monks'.
There has been a Christian tradition in the area since the 6th century. The remains of a 15th century church can be seen in the peaceful oasis that is Seagoe Cemetery.
The 'Seagoe Bell', originally found in Scarva Parish, was used for many years during funeral services at Seagoe. The Bell of Seagoe, is one of four names attributed to this bell. The inscription in Irish assists in approximating the age of the bell, and to speculate on the background of its keepers. The inscription, 'Oroit ar Chumascach m Ailello' - A prayer for Commascach son of Ailill. The death of this Cumascach, the Economist of the Cathedral of Armagh, is recorded in the Annala Rioghachta Eireann at the year 904, which might infer that the bell is eleven hundred years old this year. Cumascach's mother, Gormlaith, was a daughter of Murdach, King of Ulster. The Bell of Seagoe was kept in the parish for approximately one hundred years, 1730-1830, and is now on display in the National Museum of Ireland, Dublin, alongside the Bell of Saint Patrick.