Slaters National Commercial Directory of Ireland|
Portadown 1881 Page 1
A MARKET town, partly in the parish of SEAGOE, barony of O’Neilland
East, but chiefly in the parish of DRUMCREE, barony of O’Neilland West,
county of Armagh, is 84 miles N. from Dublin, 25 S.W. by W. from Belfast, 19 W.S.W. from Lisburn, 15 E. from Dungannon, 10 N.E. by N.
from Armagh, 4 S. from Lough Neagh, 6-1/2 E. by N. from Loughgall, 5-1/2 S.W. from Lurgan, the same distance N.E. from Richhill, and 4-1/2 N.W. by N. from Gilford; eligibly situated on the river Bann, over which is a stone bridge of five arches, connecting it with the small suburb of EDENDERRY, in the parish of Seagoe.
The Newry canal joins the river about a mile above the town, and the latter falls into Lough Neagh at its southern side, and issuing at the opposite point loses itself in the sea below Coleraine, thus forming, in connection with the canal, a water communication between that place and Newry. This is now but little used, consequent on the opening of railway communication with all parts of the country. The Great Northern and the Ulster lines of railway have a joint station conveniently close to the town. The ancient name of this place was Port-ne-doon, signifying the “Port of the fortified eminence”, from a castle of the McCann’s, who occupied this important station, commanding the pass of the river Bann. In the reign of Charles I, Portadown consisted of no more than three or four small houses, and was granted by that monarch, with the estate, to J. P. Obyns, Esq. It now consists of a well-built principal street, and several smaller streets branching from it in various directions.
In 1780 a general grain market was established by the late Major Obyns and John Woodhouse, Esq. And of late years the weekly sales of corn have greatly increased. The trade in other agricultural produce is also great, and is much promoted by the situation of the place, in the centre of an extensive and fertile district, and the facile means in possession of transmission to distant parts. The manufacture of linen, cambric, and sheeting is carried on extensively in the town and neighbourhood, and affords employment to a considerable number of persons. Banking accommodation is amply supplied by branches of the Bank of Ireland, the Belfast Banking Company, and the Ulster Banking Company.
Petty sessions are held on the second and fourth Mondays in each month. The general appearance of the town is cleanly and respectable. The principal street contains a number of excellent retail establishments. The town is also well lighted with gas, and is governed by a chairman and commissioner selected triennially under the Towns Improvement Act of 1854.
The Protestant Episcopal church of Drumcree, situated about a mile
from the town, is a handsome edifice, in the early English style, with a tower at the eastern end; and the parish church of Seagoe, which forms a very pleasing object in the landscape, stands about an English mile north, in the midst of a finely wooded and well-cultivated district. St. Mark’s church, a neat structure with a square tower, stands in the town; as do also Presbyterian meeting houses, and chapels respectively for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The Roman Catholic church is situated in William street. The charitable institutions comprise dispensaries for the sick poor, a fever hospital, and public schools. The court house and news room, in High street, is a handsome and ornamental structure. A good market place and shambles were erected by subscription, and placed under the superintendence of a committee. The general market is held on Saturday, and one for grain, hay and straw on Wednesday. Fairs, the third Saturday in every month. The town
contained in 1861, 5,528 inhabitants, and in 1871, 6,735.
FRANCIS J. O’HANLON, Post Master
From England, Dublin, Belfast, and all parts of Ireland at half-past
From Scotland, Belfast, Lisburn, and Lurgan at eight morning.
From Dungannon, Moy, Monaghan, Armagh, Caledon, and Glaslough at ten
minutes past ten morning.
From England, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and all
places between Dublin and Portadown, at ten minutes past eleven morning.
From Armagh and Monaghan at fifty minutes past two afternoon.
From Dungannon, Moy, Omagh, Strabane, Derry, Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan,
and Travelling Railway Mail at four afternoon.
From Dublin, Armagh, and Dungannon at a quarter-past six evening.
From Annaghmore and Rural Letter Carriers at eight evening.
To Dublin and Annaghmore at half past seven morning.
To Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan, and all places between Portadown and
Belfast at twenty-five minutes past ten morning.
To Armagh, Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Newton Stewart, Castlederg,
Ballygawley, Pomeroy, Dungannon, and Moy at forty-five minutes past ten morning.
To Monaghan, at ten minutes past two afternoon.
To England, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and all places
between Portadown and Dublin, at twenty minutes past three afternoon.
To Scotland, Belfast, Lisburn, Lurgan, Armagh, and Dungannon, at twenty
minutes past five evening.
To Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Dungannon, Moy, and all places between
Portadown and Derry, at fifty minutes past ten evening.
To England, Scotland, Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Banbridge, and
all places in Ireland, except along Derry line of rail, at ten minutes
past one morning.
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.
We make this information freely available to genealogists and Family Historians, but at no time may this information be used on a pay site or sold for profit.
Our thanks to all those who have made donations to the Lurgan Ancestry Project, which made the production of these records possible.