A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF IRELAND |
By Samuel Lewis, 1837
The following is an extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, which relates to the Lurgan area. This Dictionary comprises the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate, market, post towns and villages, with historical and statistical descriptions.
DRUMCREE, a parish, in the barony of O'NEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town and district parish of Portadown, 12,355 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises 13,385 ¾ statute acres: there is a very large tract of bog, most of which is valuable. The weaving of linen and cotton is carried on to a great extent. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate: the tithes amount to £650. A large and handsome glebe-house was erected by the Rev, C. Alexander, in 1828, aided by a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 567 acres, of which 93 are bog. The parish church is a large ancient building, with a tower and spire; and a chapel of ease was built at Portadown, in 1826.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a small chapel at Drumcree. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Portadown and Scotch-street, and for Primitive Methodists at Derryanville, Scotch-street, and Drumnakelly.
Two large and handsome schools have been erected and endowed by the Rev. C. Alexander, who also principally supports three others. The school at Mullantine was built and is supported by Lady Mandeville; and at Ballyworken, Sir F. W. Macnaghten, Bart., has endowed one with a house and four acres of land for the master. In these schools about 370 children are educated, and about 60 are educated in two private schools. Roger Marley, Esq., bequeathed £30 per annum to the poor, payable out of a farm at Drumanally; and Mrs. Johnston, in 1809, left for their use the interest of £100. At Battentaggart are considerable remains of an extensive mansion, erected by the Bolton family, in the reign of James I. A very ancient bell was found some years since in the churchyard of Drumcree.—See PORTADOWN.
LURGAN, a market and post-town, in the parish of SHANKILL, barony of ONEILLAND EAST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 13 ½ miles (N. E.) from Armagh, on the road to Belfast, and 67 ½ (N.) from Dublin; containing, in 1831, 2842 inhabitants, since which period the population has very much increased. This place formed part of the territory of the O'Nials, and on the settlement of Ulster was, with the lands of Dowcorran and Ballenemony, together comprising 2500 acres, granted by James I. to William Brownlow, Esq., who erected a handsome house at Dowcorran, and shortly after built the town of Lurgan, in which, in 1619, were 42 houses, all occupied by English families.
On the other parts of the estate were 45 families, and the colony continued to flourish till the war in 1641, when the town was burned by the insurgents, who converted the church into a garrison, and afterwards demolished it; they also destroyed the mansions of Dowcorran and Ballenemony.
After the restoration the town was rebuilt, but was again destroyed by the army of James II., and its proprietor declared an outlaw. It was, however, restored in 1690, when a patent for a market and fairs was obtained, and soon afterwards an important branch of the linen manufacture was established here, which has continued to flourish till the present time. The town is situated in the midst of a fertile and well-cultivated district, and consists of one spacious street, containing 482 houses, substantially built of stone and roofed with slate, many of which are large and handsome.
The manufacture of diapers was introduced here by William Waring, Esq., M.P. for Hillsborough, during the whole of the reign of Anne; and the Lurgan and Waringstown manufacturers have always been eminent in this branch of the trade. Damasks of superior quality, and cambrics, are made here in large quantities, and sold in the market weekly, to the amount of from £2500 to £3000; and there is scarcely a family in the district that is not more or less connected with the linen trade.
There are two large tobacco-manufactories, two ale-breweries, and an extensive distillery, in which 15,000 tons of grain are annually consumed. A facility of intercourse with Belfast is afforded by Lough Neagh and the Lagan navigation, and the trade of the town is progressively increasing.
The market is on Friday, and is abundantly supplied with provisions; and great quantities of linens are sold on the market days in the brown linen-hall, a spacious building, erected by subscription in 1825. Fairs are held on Aug. 5th and 6th, and Nov. 22nd and 23rd. A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town; a manorial court is held every three weeks, and petty sessions every Friday; the quarter sessions for the county are also held here. The court-house is a large, handsome, and well-arranged building; and there is a district bridewell, containing 7 cells, with day-rooms and airing-yards, and well adapted for classification.
The parish church, a handsome edifice with a tower surmounted by an octagonal spire; the R. C. parochial chapel, a neat Gothic building; and meetinghouses for Presbyterians and the Society of Friends, are in the town. A mendicity society and a voluntary poor fund have been established, to which Mr. Brown-low contributes £100 per annum.
Near the town is Lurgan House, the residence of the Rt. Hon. Charles Brownlow, now being rebuilt on an extensive scale and in the Elizabethan style, with freestone brought from Scotland; the approach is by a handsome lodge and gateway of the same character, and the demesne, which is very extensive, is embellished with a profusion of stately timber, and with an artificial lake of 100 acres; there are various other seats in the vicinity, which, with the schools and other institutions, are noticed under the head of SHANKILL.
MOYNTAGHS, or ARDMORE (MONTIAGHS), a parish, in the barony of ONEILLAND EAST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Lurgan, on the road to Stewartstown, by way of the Bannfoot ferry; containing 2891 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the southern shore of Lough Neagh, and is bounded on the south-west by the river Bann; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey (including islands), 18,098 ¼ statute acres, of which 12,178 are in Lough Neagh, 305 ½ in Lough Gullion, and 83 in the Bann. About one-half of the land is arable, and the remainder bog, which C. Brownlow, Esq., has attempted to drain and reclaim. For this purpose he erected a windmill, which was soon destroyed by a storm, and was replaced by a steam-engine, which proved ineffectual. An extensive embankment was formed across Lough Gullion, and the steam-engine long employed in draining it; but all these efforts were defeated, as the water seemed to return by subterranean springs. Agricultural pursuits, fishing, weaving linen, and working the turf bog, are the principal employments of the inhabitants.
Raughlin, the seat of J. Forde, Esq., is surrounded by plantations, gardens, and pleasure-grounds of a luxuriant character, and commands splendid views of the lake and the counties of Tyrone, Derry, Antrim, Down, and Armagh: in the lake is an island, beautifully planted with fruit-trees and evergreens, the whole forming a beautiful spot in the midst of a boggy and unproductive tract. On the opposite shore is the glebe-house, the residence of the Rev. D. W. Macmullen. Moyntaghs was formerly part of the parish of Seagoe, but in 1765 it was erected into a separate parish. By charter of James I., the rectory was made one of the five parishes constituting the union of Donaghclony and corps of the archdeaconry of the diocese of Dromore, to which it remained united until 1832, when, by act of council, the union was dissolved, and it was united and consolidated with the vicarage, and the living is now a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the patronage of the Bishop.
The tithes amount to £54. 2. 6., besides which, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners grant £71. 2. out of Primate Boulter's fund. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £415. 7. 8 ½., and a loan of £55. 7. 8 ¼ ., British currency, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820; the glebe comprises 13 acres, valued at £16. 5. per annum. A small church was built in 1765, close to the shore of Lough Neagh, but it was blown down in a storm on Nov. 4th, 1783; after which accident the new one was built, in 1785, on a more eligible site; its elevated situation and tapering spire, render it an interesting object when viewed from the lake or any of the neighbouring shores: the late Board gave £276. 18. 5 ½., British currency, towards its erection.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Seagoe. About 60 children are educated in the parochial school, which is principally supported by the incumbent; the school-house is large and commodious. There are also three private schools, in which are about 130 children, and a Sunday school. C. Brown-low, Esq., the proprietor of the parish, built a village near the Bannfoot ferry, naming it Charlestown; he obtained a patent for a fair on the first Monday in every month, but it has not yet succeeded. This village is seven miles from Lurgan, Portadown, and Stewartstown, being intentionally equidistant from each of these towns.
PORTADOWN, a market and post-town, and district parish, in the barony of ONEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and. province of ULSTER, 9 miles (N. E.) from Armagh, and 69 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the road from Armagh to Belfast; containing 4906 inhabitants, of which number, 1591 are in the town. This place, anciently called Port-ne-doon, or "the port of the fortified eminence," derived that name from an ancient castle of the McCanns or McCanes, who were tributaries of the O'Nials and occupied this very important station, commanding the pass of the river Bann. The adjoining lands were, under the name of the manor of Ballyoran, granted by James I. to William Powell, Esq., and afterwards by Charles I., in the 7th of his reign, to Prudence Obyns and John Obyns, Esq., who erected a large mansion in the Elizabethan style for their own residence, and built 14 houses, in which they settled fourteen English families. Of the ancient mansion there is scarcely a vestige, except the gardens, and the avenue, which is still tolerably perfect. The town, which has been greatly extended, and the manor, are now the property of Viscount Mandeville. The former is very advantageously situated on the river Bann, over which is a stone bridge of seven arches, connecting it with the small suburb of Edenderry, in the parish of Seagoe.
It consists of one spacious and handsome street, with several smaller streets branching from it in various directions; and contains 315 houses, of which those in the principal street are large and well built.The town has been greatly improved within the last 40 years, previously to which it was comparatively of little importance; it is paved and cleansed by a committee appointed under the act of the 9th of George IV., which raises money for that purpose by an assessment on the inhabitants. The river, which falls into Lough Neagh about seven miles below the town to the north, and communicates with the Newry canal about one mile above it to the south, is navigable for vessels of 80 tons' burden; but from a bar at its mouth, and from want of depth in the canal, the vessels generally navigating it seldom exceed 60 tons. The bridge, which is the only one across the river between Knock and Toome, a distance of full 30 miles, was built in 1764, but has suffered so much from the winter floods, that it has become necessary to rebuild it, and the expense is estimated at £8000.
The chief trade is in corn, pork, cattle, and agricultural produce, and is greatly promoted by the situation of the place in the centre of an extensive and fertile district. The corn trade is particularly brisk during the winter; on an average, from £10,000 to £15,000 is laid out weekly in the purchase of grain, which is shipped to Newry and Belfast for exportation to England, the vessels returning with cargoes of timber, coal, slates, iron, and articles for inland consumption. The manufacture of linen, lawn, cambric and sheeting is extensively carried on, chiefly for the bleachers and factors of Banbridge; and the weaving of cotton goods for the merchants of Belfast also affords employment to a great number of persons. A very large distillery has been established, consuming annually more than 3000 tons of malt, bere, and oats; there is also a very extensive porter brewery; and since the Tyrone collieries were opened, brick-making has been extensively carried on. The market is on Saturday, and is abundantly supplied with provisions of all kinds, and with linen yarn, which is sold in great quantities.
Fairs are held on the third Saturday in every month, and also on Easter-Monday and Whit-Monday, for cattle, pigs, and pedlery, and during the winter great quantities of pork are sold. A large and commodious market-place, with shambles and every requisite, has been recently erected by subscription, and is under the regulation of a committee. A chief constabulary police force is stationed in the town; petty sessions are held every Saturday; and courts for the manors of Ballyoran and Richmount, at which debts to the amount of 40s. are recoverable, every third Monday, before a seneschal appointed by Viscount Mande-ville.
The district parish comprises 3836 statute acres, mostly in a profitable state of cultivation; the demesne attached to the ancient mansion of the Obyns family, with the exception of a tract of woodland, has been parcelled out into farms.
The principal seats are Ballyworkan, the residence of G. Pepper, Esq.; Carrick, of Lieu. Colonel Blacker, a fine old mansion, embellished with some stately timber, Clowna, of J. Woolsey, Esq.; Eden Villa, of W. Atkinson, Esq.; and Fair View, of T. Carleton, Esq.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Rector of Drumcree, who pays the curate a stipend of £150. The church, a handsome edifice in the early English style, with a tower at the east end, and for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a gift of £831, and a loan of £461, was built in 1826; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £173 for its repair.
In the R. C. divisions the parish gives name to a union or district, including also the parish of Drumcree, where is the chapel. There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. About 550 children are taught in seven public schools, of which two are supported by the rector, four by Lord and Lady Mandeville, and one partly by Mrs. Henry; there are also five private schools, in which are about, 100 children, and two Sunday schools. A dispensary for the tenants of the Portadown estate is wholly supported by Lord Mandeville, by whom also a lending-library and a loan fund have been established.
SEAGOE, or SEGOE, a parish, in the barony of ONEILLAND EAST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from Portadown, extending along the river Bann, and intersected by the great roads leading from Armagh to Belfast, and from Portadown to Banbridge; containing 9736 inhabitants. This place, which is said to have derived its name from Seagh-Gabha, "the smith's seat," was allotted to Nial Gabha, one of the sons of the great O'Nial. It is traditionally said that, in 836, a battle was fought here, in which Blacar, a Danish chief, ancestor of the family of Blacker, defeated Ail, or O'Nial, and his sept; and the place, adjoining Carrick demesne, is pointed out, called Lis-na-grilly, signifying "the fort of the dagger," where there are still faint traces of a circular intrenchment.
The parish is bounded on the west by the river Bann, along which it extends for about 4 ½ miles: it contains three manorial districts, subdivided into 47 townlands, comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,982 ¼ statute acres: 1236 ½ are in Lough Neagh, and 495 in the river Bann; the rest are chiefly arable, though, along the banks of the river, there is an extensive tract of low meadow and pasture ground, which is inundated about Christmas, and the water does not disappear till March, when it leaves behind a light deposit of mud, enriching the soil and producing nutritious, though coarse, herbage: there is very little bog. Agriculture is considerably improved; the crops are corn, flax, and potatoes; onions are cultivated to a great extent. The fuel used is turf, cut and saved in the months of July and August, great quantities of which are conveyed up the Bann from the large bogs in Moyntaghs.
The trade is principally confined to the produce of the land, and a considerable quantity of butter, which finds a market in Portadown; though there is scarcely a house or family which is not, in one way or other, connected with the linen trade, of which there are extensive manufacturers throughout the parish. On the townland of Balteagh and Kilfergan there is a quarry, the stone of which has been discovered to be highly valuable as marble, and for lithography, for which it is said to equal the best German stone; and at Killycomain a superior hard blue stone is found.
On the hill of Drumlin, in the southern angle of the parish, are fine pits of gravel, particularly adapted for roads and walks. The surface of the parish is a gentle undulation of hill and dale; the highest point is the hill of Drumclogher, whence is obtained a full view of the parish and the rich scenery on the banks of the Bann, Lough Neagh, and the Mourne mountains; the river, here navigable for vessels of 60 tons, cannot be surpassed for its majestic appearance as it winds beautifully along the western boundary. It was crossed at Portadown by a bridge of seven arches, built in 1764, but which having given way in several places, a new bridge is now in progress of erection, at an expense to the county of £8000; it will be a very fine building of three arches, each more than 50 feet in span.
The parish is well intersected with roads, there being also a new line of road between Armagh and Belfast, which is carried through it for nearly three miles, besides several minor roads communicating with the county of Down. The farm-houses exhibit much appearance of comfort, particularly those on the Carrick estate, which are remarkable for their neatness. Manorial courts are held, in Kernan, for the estate of Viscount Mandeville; Carrowbrack, for that of Colonel Blacker; and the Derry, for that of C. Brownlow, Esq.: the respective seneschals hold their courts every three weeks, for the recovery of debts under 40s., and courts leet are held once in the year.
The principal gentlemen's seats are Seagoe House, the residence of the Venerable Archdeacon Saurin; and Carrick, of Lieutenant Colonel Blacker., a large edifice, built in 1692, but much improved since that time: the gardens and pleasure grounds retain many specimens of the taste of that age; in the sheep-walk of the demesne, on the summit of a low ridge or knoll is a curious excavation of an elliptic form, about 80 yards in circumference, sloping gradually inwards on all sides with great regularity; whether intended as a place of justice, or worship, there is no tradition; in the demesne are numerous fine old oaks, and well-grown beech and ash. Silverwood House is the seat of T. Cuppage, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, forming the corps of the archdeaconry, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes (chiefly of corn and hay) amount to £330, and the glebe comprises 500 acres, valued at £652. 7. 7. per ann., making the gross income of the archdeacon £982. 7. 7. The glebe-house is a commodious residence contiguous to the church; the latter is a large handsome edifice in the early English style, with a square tower, built at an entire cost of £2200, of which £1000 was a loan from the late Board of First Fruits; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £319 for its repair: the interior is fitted up in a very superior manner.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is united with that of Moyntaghs; there are two chapels, at Derrymacash and Bluestone. At Edenderry, which forms a suburb to Portadown, there is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class. There is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Bluestone; and a dispensary has recently been established. There are male and female schools at Balteagh and Bluestone, with houses for the master and mistress, chiefly supported by Lord and Lady Mandeville, and conducted on the principles of the Moral Agency System, with a lending library attached to each: the loan and clothing fund of Tanderagee, and the dispensary of Portadown, are connected with these schools, and open to the free use of parents and children.
There are also schools at Levaghery and Hacknahay, the former built by Colonel Blacker, the latter considerably aided by Mrs. Cope; other schools are aided by annual donations from Archdeacon Saurin and Colonel Blacker, and a girls' school at Carrick is superintended by Mrs. Blacker: in all these schools about 550 children are taught. There are also two private schools, in which about 180 children are educated; and a very extensive Sunday school at Bluestone.
Near the spot where the battle was fought, in which O'Nial was defeated, several brazen swords and spear-heads of superior workmanship have been dug up; two nearly perfect are in the possession of the Earl of Charleville, to whom they were presented by Colonel Blacker, who has in his possession a curious battle-hammer head of stone, found in the same place, the handle composed of osier withes, much resembling a smith's punch of the present day, which, from its elasticity, must have been a deadly weapon in close combat.
SHANKILL, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, but chiefly in that of ONEILLAND EAST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the mail coach road from Belfast to Enniskillen; containing, with the post-town of Lurgan, 7758 inhabitants. This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance Survey, 6584 statute acres, of which 4931 ½ are in the county of Armagh, and 1652 ½ in Down; of these, 59 ½ acres are in lakes at Lurgan, and 362 in Lough Neagh. The lands are of good quality and chiefly under tillage; the system of agriculture is greatly improved, and the parish is generally in an excellent state of cultivation; there are some quarries of whinstone, which is chiefly used for building, and for repairing the roads.
The principal seat is Lurgan House, the splendid residence of the Rt. Hon. Charles Brownlow (proprietor of the parish), a spacious structure in the Elizabethan style, beautifully situated in a richly wooded demesne with two fine artificial lakes, and embellished with timber of luxuriant and stately growth; the approach is by a handsome lodge and gateway of corresponding character, the whole of freestone brought from Scotland. The other seats are Woodville, the residence of G. Greer, Esq.; Silverwood, of Thomas Cuppage, Esq.; and Grace Hall, of C. Douglas, Esq.: there are also numerous handsome residences in the town of Lurgan.
The linen manufacture is carried on to a great extent throughout the parish, in connection with the large establishments in the town; and diapers, lawns, and cambricks of very superior quality are made in great quantities. The Lagan navigation from Belfast joins Lough Neagh in that part of the parish which extends into the county of Down. Fairs are held at Lurgan on Aug. 5th and 6th, and Nov. 22nd and 23rd. There is a chief constabulary police station, and manorial courts and petty sessions are held in that town, as noticed in the article on Lurgan, which see.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the patronage of the bishop: the tithes amount to £210. 16. The glebe-house, a handsome edifice, occupied by the Rev. Edward Kent, was built in 1821, at an expense of £1384. 12. 3 ¾., of which £92. 6. 1 ¾. was a gift, and £969. 14. 7 ½, a loan from the late Board of First Fruits; and the glebe comprises 170 statute acres, valued at £325 per annum. The church, situated in the town of Lurgan, a handsome Grecian edifice with a lofty tower and octagonal spire, was built in 1712 and enlarged and repaired in 1828, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £800, and the Rt. Hon. C. Brownlow gave £100; it has recently been further repaired by a grant of £282 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the congregation averages 600.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also parts of the parishes of Donaghcloney and Maralin: the chapel, a handsome edifice in the later English style, is situated in the town. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class, for the Society of Friends, and for Wesleyan and other Methodists.
About 500 children are taught in five public schools, of which the parochial male and female schools are in connection with the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, who allow a salary of £20 to the master and £14 to the mistress; in the former are 120 boys and in the latter 100 girls, who are also clothed by a collection made at a charity sermon, and the incidental expenses of firing, &c., are defrayed by a subscription from the resident gentry. There are seven private schools, in which are about 230 children; and five Sunday schools.
A mendicity society and a voluntary poor fund have been established, towards the support of which Mr. Brownlow contributes annually £100; and there are various other charities for the relief of the poor, to which Mr. Brownlow also contributes. The Rt. Hon. William Brownlow, ancestor of the present proprietor, and for more than 30 years a distinguished member of the Irish House of Commons till the Union, was a native of this place.
TARTARAGHAN, or the LOW PARISH, a parish, in the barony of ONEILLAND WEST, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Loughgall, on the road from Lurgan, by Verner's-Bridge, to Dungannon; containing 6321 inhabitants. This parish is bounded for a short distance on the north-east by the river Bann, and on the north-west by the river Blackwater: it formerly was part of the parish of Drumcree, from which it was separated by act of parliament in the 8th of Queen Anne, and erected into a distinct parish, comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 11,612 statute acres, of which 2122 ¾ are in Lough Neagh, and in small lakes. The lands are chiefly under tillage; the soil is light, but fertile; and the system of agriculture is progressively improving. In the lower extremity of the parish, bordering on Lough Neagh, is a large tract of valuable bog; and there is a quarry of whinstone, which is raised chiefly for building.
The principal seats are Crow Hill, the residence of J. Atkinson, Esq.; and Clantileu, of E. Obrie, Esq. About one-sixth of the population are employed in the linen manufacture. A manorial court is held at Clantileu, every third Thursday, for the recovery of debts to the amount of 40s.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the successive patronage of the Lord-Primate, the Earl of Charlemont, and Charles Brownlow, Esq.: the tithes amount to £276. 18. 6. The glebe-house was erected in 1775, at an expense of £523, of which £100 was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits, and the remainder was defrayed by the incumbent; the glebe comprises 40 statute acres, valued at £50 per annum. The church, originally built in 1712, on land given by Francis Obrie, Esq., who also endowed it with the tithes of eight townlands and gave 40 acres of land for a glebe, is now in ruins: the present church was built in 1816, for which purpose the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £800. Divine service is also performed every Sunday in summer, and on alternate Sundays in winter, in a building formerly used as a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel, a very neat edifice, is at Eglish. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians of the Seceding Synod, of the second class, and also for Wesleyan Methodists. About 260 children are taught in five public schools, of which two are supported by the rector and Mr. Obrie, and one by Colonel Verner; and there are four private schools, in which are about 160 children, and four Sunday schools. Adjoining the village of Moghery, and close on the shore of Lough Neagh, are the ruins of the old church; and in the townland of Eglish is an ancient cemetery, still used as a place of sepulture.
In the townland of Derrycorr is a curious ancient road, formed of large oak trees placed longitudinally with planks of cleft oak laid over them transversely, and covered with sand and gravel about a foot deep, forming a road across the bog at a considerable depth below the surface, and in an excellent state of preservation, though, from the accumulation of superincumbent bog, the timber must have remained there for many centuries. The sand and gravel were evidently brought from Lough Neagh, from portions of petrified wood and chalcedony being intermixed with them; and the road, which was recently discovered while cutting turf, is traceable for nearly two miles to the Lough, and is supposed by the peasantry to have been constructed by St. Patrick, for the purpose of conveying sand for the building of Armagh cathedral. In the year 1815 a golden gorget, weighing 12 oz. and richly chased, was found in one of these bogs, and was purchased by the Rev. F. Gervais, rector of the parish.